September 25, 2009

Shhh....Don't Tell


Hi, my name is Sara and I have a Starbucks Vanilla Steamer addiction. I don't know what it is about that place that draws me in. Every year as it gets colder outside I long for a warm vanilla steamed milk. My kids all love it and so I am forced to share it when they are with me. I wouldn't say my addiction is all that bad after hearing a conversation between two women at the gymnastics gym yesterday. They were talking about how they had to have their coffee every morning and how they couldn't function without it. OK...that is pretty sad. I don't have to have my vanilla steamer each day...maybe once every week or two. Addiction is a funny thing because there are so many good things in life that can actually be bad addictions. Too much of anything isn't necessarily a good thing. So, I won't feel guilty next time I go and purchase my vanilla steamer and pumpkin loaf (they were out of that today...total bummer).

Moderation in all things is a great motto to live by and one many people hear in our church. As I have been trying to get my family to eat healthier I have been thinking a lot about this topic of moderation. I am willing to cut out many snacks and foods that are filled with perservatives and refined sugars, but I am not willing to give up those few things I enjoy every once in a while. In the end I guess it is really a personal thing that every person has to come to terms with and feel comfortable with the direction they are taking. Overcoming addictions and habits take time and sometimes that alone can be overwhelming. I have someone very close to me that has struggled with addiction. I have seen him struggle and I have seen him overcome his addictions. I think we are all a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for! I know that I can be stronger in my will power to help me and my family lead a healthier life! In the meantime, I will enjoy my occasional vanilla steamer, chocolate chip cookies, and yummy breads!

No comments:

Post a Comment