September 13, 2009

Cannon Beach . Day 1

Our last trip of the summer was visiting part of the Oregon Coast. We headed down to Cannon Beach on Saturday and after a short three hours we made it to the Inn at Cannon Beach where we would be staying. The drive was beautiful and the weather was mild and sunny. After checking in to our cute little Inn we picked up some pizza and then made the 1 block walk down to the beach. We were at the most perfect section of the beach with a gorgeous view of the famous Sea Stacks most remembered by true Goonies fans. Unfortunately the good weather faded and the fog rolled in. We still set up our chairs and blanket and let the kids play in the sand with their sweatshirts on. The kids got so distracted that they didn't even care to eat the pizza. We were having a great time until we noticed that the tide kept coming our way...slowly...but still coming and not stopping. I quickly picked up my purse/diaper bag and camera bag and headed to the rocks at the back end of the beach. Our blanket and pizza got covered by the tide and were soaking wet. The sandy pizza was not real appetizing for the kids but I managed to stuff one piece into my mouth because I was starving. It really wasn't that sandy. We were all so shocked that the tide came up so far on the beach. I put my bags on the rocks and didn't really think another episode would be in play. Boy was I wrong when five minutes later the same thing happened except this time the tide came all the way to the rocks. My first thought was to quickly grab the shoes that were on the sand so they wouldn't be washed away. In doing so I saved all the shoes minus one of Peter's flipflops but Emma who was next to me got overpowered by the tide and fell into the water. I was done! Emma was soaked and not happy about it. I took the girls back to the room to get cleaned up while Mike stayed with the boys to play a little longer. So it wasn't the ideal start to our great weekend. Mike found a laundromat to wash all the sweatshirts that got soaked. You can't be on the Oregon Coast without a dry sweatshirt. The kids enjoyed watching TV since we don't have cable at home. In between doing laundry Mike brought us some Tillamook ice-cream that was DELICIOUS. I had the Huckleberry ice-cream and I just couldn't get enough of i--it made everything so much better!





No comments:

Post a Comment