October 20, 2009

Fall Leaves

I have been patiently waiting for the leaves to start falling around here. The leaves started turning colors a couple of weeks ago but this week they seem to be the most vibrant. Every time I drive around our little town of Dupont I enjoy seeing the streets lined with beautiful trees of orange, red, and yellow. Everyday I keep thinking that I need to take my kids out to enjoy the leaves before it starts to rain. It was supposed to rain all week and we have had a lucky break in the weather so I took the kids after their half day of school today to the Clock Tower Park...so called because of the Clock Tower that chimes every hour. We ate lunch and then played in the leaves. We all worked together to build a pile of leaves to jump in and when it was finally big enough and we were tired of gathering leaves we each took turns jumping in the pile. I had a blast just being with my kids on this beautiful fall day. It brought back such great memories of the fall in Maryland when the boys were younger. We had the most gorgeous trees on the side of our townhouse and with Mike hard at work we got some pretty big piles going. They made our pile today look a little small. Nevertheless, each one of the kids enjoyed something specific about today. Abby played in the leaves but kept wandering over to the solar powered lights. For some reason she was just so fascinated by them. Emma was concerned with making the pile higher and worked hard at gathering the leaves. Peter was our go getter and chased Abby back to where we were when she got too far. Then he would wrestle with her on the ground...playfully and lovingly. Andrew was our tree shaker and shook the branches so the other kids could enjoy the falling leaves. I just soaked it all up and enjoyed this non-rainy, non-cold, and not too sunny fall day. It will be sad when all the leaves are gone. I guess we will just have to keep playing in the leaves until the last leaf is gone!













No comments:

Post a Comment