April 19, 2011

Peter's Baptism


Two months ago I would not have imagined that we would be having Peter's baptism in the United States. We had planned on baptizing him in Japan but after the earthquake and the uncertainty of how things were going to be after his birthday we made a quick decision to change our plans for Peter's baptism. Part of me was sad that we wouldn't be able to do it in Japan but it all seemed to work out so perfectly. It had been raining all day and right when we got to the church it stopped and the sun came out for a short time. It was a pleasant reminder that today was indeed a very special day. Both sets of Grandparents and all the Aunts, Uncles, and cousins from the Wilhelm/Holtom side were able to be there. We even had some surprise guests when Peter's primary teachers (Damaris and Jess Nelson) from our church when we lived in Washington drove all the way from Maryland to see him get baptized. It was a glorious reunion and he immediately remembered them. He went right over and gave them a hug. The talks on Baptism and the Holy Ghost given by Grandpa Al and Grandma Ann were wonderful. I watched Peter as he reverently listened to every word they said. Peter was just beaming with joy and peace. I was hardly able to contain myself when he finally stepped into the water. Afterwards Andrew, Emma, Abby and I sang the song that Mike wrote called, "I May Be Small," and I think that is something that Peter will always remember. The words were so fitting for someone who is newly baptized. It seems so strange that Peter is already 8 years old. I seriously don't know where the time has gone. The Baptism couldn't have gone any smoother. It was spiritual and wonderful.

To celebrate with the family and our special friends we went out to eat at our favorite restaurant--Sweetwater Tavern. It was a bit of a hassle to get everyone seated because we were not able to reserve a big table for everyone. However, the people were gracious enough to try and seat us in booths that were next to each other. I sat and ate with my parents alone while Mike had Andrew and Abby and some of the older cousins. They all wanted to be with Mike because in their words, "he is so cool." That he is. Peter choose to sit with the Nelsons all by himself. It was so sweet. I could tell that Peter felt special today.

Here are Peter's own thoughts about his special day:

I felt good when I was baptized. The water felt warm. I liked when my cousins were watching me. I felt the Spirit. I liked Grandma's talk when she was talking about the stop light and how that was like the Holy Ghost. She made me a quilt and I loved it. I also liked when my mother sang, "I may be small," because it was nice. I liked that my family was there with me. After the baptism we went to Sweetwater Tavern and I ate a cheeseburger. I got to sit with my old teachers and they were nice.


The Invitation:

No comments:

Post a Comment