June 7, 2012

Tennis Lessons

I have never been very good at hand sports like basketball, volleyball and tennis.  I played basketball for one season when I was in 7th grade and it was kind of a big deal because I didn't run track that year.  My coach was not too happy with me.  Lucky for him I stunk at basketball so I didn't play the next year and stuck with the stuff I was good at like running.  I didn't even start soccer until I was in high school.  It's funny but I grew up watching my parents and my older brothers play tennis while we were on vacation but I guess my younger brother and I were too young to really play so we were the ball runners.  Because I never really learned how to play tennis I just automatically didn't like the sport very much because I was not good at it.  I remember watching Wimbledon with my family as a kid and liking it but it didn't fuel any desire for me to learn how to play.

Mike, on the other hand, is great at tennis.  He grew up playing tennis and has become quite good at it. He has such a powerful serve and he is pretty accurate in where he hits the ball.  Even though he is already a good tennis player he tarted taking lesson to improve his skills.  In an effort to be able to play tennis together we both decided that the boys and I needed to start taking tennis lessons.  I was a little skeptical at first that I could be taught how to play tennis.  The first couple of lessons were pretty pathetic on my part.  I jumped right in with some other beginners who had already been playing for some time so I really felt like the odd wheel.  I learned very quickly to laugh at my mistakes and move on.  After a month of lessons we had a few rained out days.  I was on my way to a make up day when it turned out I was the only one who showed up.  After talking with coach Noguchi he finally realized that these lessons where literally the first time I had ever played tennis.  He decided to start from ground zero and teach me how to correctly swing the racket.  We spent most of that hour just practicing my form.  It was the best hour ever because I started to finally understand how to properly hit the ball across the net.  I surprised myself and even Noguchi was surprised by some of my hits.  A whole new world opened up to me and it's not surprising that I started to really enjoy playing tennis. It definitely doesn't hurt to have a husband who can be my coach on the side as well.  He is super fun to play with. 



Andrew and Peter have really enjoyed taking tennis lessons as well.  They take lessons after me with two other brothers.  They have both picked up the sport fast.  Andrew is quick and Peter is accurate.   They both love to play and for now that is all that matters until they start to learn better form.  Hopefully the heat of the summer doesn't deter us from continuing on with our lessons.             

No comments:

Post a Comment