May 17, 2011

33 Things About Mom


Another year older, hopefully a bit wiser, not much taller but maybe a bit wider (something I am trying to remedy with all my crazy running), a teeny bit more patient than last year, and just happy to be in my 30's. I remember right before I turned 30 I was told that I was just going to hate turning 30. Well, that time came and went and I honestly didn't get that depressing feeling to turn 30. For me the 30's has been absolutely awesome. Yes, I do have to work harder to keep my body in shape and I have to really watch what I eat now because my metabolism has slowed down. I have more noticeable wrinkles and my face is starting to show signs of aging, but I am happy, healthy, young and vibrant. I have learned a lot over the past couple of years and I am better for it. So, on with 33 things about me.

1. My favorite colors are porcelain blue, lime green, and daffodil yellow. I have always liked different shades of blue.
2. When I was younger I always wanted to be a mom. After I got married at the age of 20 we decided to wait 3 years before trying to get pregnant and that was really hard for me. I initially wanted 6 kids but changed my mind after delivering Andrew, Peter, and Emma all natural.
3. I am a business girl by degree but my heart really belongs to photography and nature.
4. I have so many freckles and that never really bothered me as a kid. I actually tried to count them all one day. I didn't get very far. I have a big freckle on my left point finger and I call it my freckle ring.
5. It was always my dream to have 2 girls so that I could see what sisters were like since I never had any.
6. As a child I was very hyper and energetic and had curly strawberry blonde hair.
7. I am a very determined person. I had to study really hard to get good grades in school but it was very important to me that I did.
8. I love chocolate and cookies way too much. I have no off button when it comes to cookie eating so I have to be very careful.
9. When I was in elementary school my mom would always make me cinnamon toast as my after school snack.
10. My favorite teacher in elementary school was my second grade teacher. Her name was Mrs. Patterson.
11. I got my first pair of glasses in 2nd grade and contacts in 7th grade. I made my mom put in my contacts for the first month until I was forced to do it after one fell out at school. She was sweet to do that for me.
12. I was never much of a girly girl when I was younger. I loved legos and GI Joe, nintendo and sports.
13. I still consider myself a bit of a rough and tough girl but now I love to dress up and wear jewelry. I love clothes but my real loves are shoes, hats, necklaces and fun coats. I wish I could spend all my money on accessories.
14. Since I don't have any sisters I find comfort in finding good girlfriends. I think of my friends often and care for them dearly.
15. I have always loved pictures. I got my first big camera when I was a Junior in High School after taking a black and white photography class. It wasn't until after having kids that I really developed my true love of photography.
16. I love climbing mountains and being in nature. Sometimes I get impatient when I am climbing and just feel the urge to break into a run.
17. I have climbed and summitted two mountains over 12,000ft--Mt. Rainier (2007) and Mt. Adams (2009) and plan on hiking to the top of Mt. Fuji this summer with Mike and the boys and race up it next year.
18. Running has been part of my life since I was 12 years old. I have run 4 marathons (Nashville, TN; Richmond, VA; Boston, MA; and Pheonix, AZ) and a handful of half marathons. My slowest marathon was my first one at 3:38:01 and my fastest was my last one at 3:24:00.
19. I got braces as an adult while I was pregnant with Abby. I felt like a pregnant teenager but it was one of the best things I ever did.
20. I love to sleep in but I rarely get the chance to do it. When I do get to sleep in I can only sleep until 8am.
21. I love to play the piano but I hardly practice anymore because of the lack of time and commitment. I love playing songs written by Jon Schmidt and some of the classics like Clair de Lune and Moonlight Sonata.
22. It is my greatest joy to watch my children play. I love their creativity and the funny things they say. I can't get enough of their sweet faces and their love for life.
23. I love to be creative but I find myself using someone else's ideas and making them my own. Every once in a while I get a clever idea all on my own.
24. I always liked the look of old cameras and I feel lucky to have inherited a couple from both sides of our family. Photography is fascinating to me and I can't wait to be able to devote more time to learning.
25. I married the man of my dreams and every day I am reminded why I love him so much. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend and soul mate. Our marriage is like good cheese and wine...it gets better with age!
26. I love to be organized and have a clean house. Sometimes I am a bit OCD with certain things but when I can tame it I really think it is a blessing.
27. I was always self conscious as a kid because of my light features. I hated having blonde eyelashes and eyebrows. My dislike is not as bad as it was back then but it still bothers me every once in a while.
28. I love sleeping on a really good mattress and I am kind of a sucker for really nice sheets.
29. I hate folding laundry but I love the smell of freshly laundered clothes.
30. If I could take a vacation anywhere in the world with my family it would be on a secluded island with clear blue water, white sandy beaches, nice pools, waterfalls, comfortable lodging, and a great place to order virgin strawberry daiquiri's.
31. I love all kinds of flowers but my favorites are tulips and white calla lilys.
32. I love food but I am not really good at spending my extra time cooking. Someday I hope to be able to devote more time to trying new recipes.
33. My favorite movie of all time is Goonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment