May 21, 2011

Ninja Restaurant

After hearing good things about some of the theme restaurants in Tokyo we decided to give the Ninja Restaurant a try. Since this dining experience is not for those that are trying to go cheap we decided to leave the girls with a babysitter and take the boys for a little date night with mom and dad. We drove to the New Sanno, parked the car, and rode the train to Akasaka. After walking out of the train station we were bombarded with Japanese protestors who were not happy about the Chinese President that would be arriving the next day. Good thing we only had to walk across the overpass to get to our destination. We were greeted inside by a lady Ninja who showed us through dark tunnels, a draw bridge, and finally to the main area of the Ninja lair that housed lots of different private rooms for eating. The beginning was so exciting that we knew the rest of the evening was going to be awesome. We had our own little private tatami room with a table in the middle and a space under the table for our feet to dangle. Our server Ninja brought us the menu that was essentially a Ninja scroll...how cool. We looked over the menu and decided that the boys would order something off the a la carte menu while Mike and I each ordered one of the set menus. The food was absolutely amazing and even Andrew and Peter loved their dishes. Andrew had cold udon which he loves and Peter had a chicken dish served over a little tiny grill. Our set menus came with a variety of courses, all of which were so tasty. Some of them were cooked right in front of us with crazy fire and Mike's soup was cooked with a large hot stone. It was fascinating to watch. I had a Ninja salad which was a salad in reverse. It was a large crouton on the outside with the salad part on the inside. I thought that was so clever. All of our appetizer dishes were so tasty but I was not prepared for the pure awesomeness of my main dish. The meat was so tender and the asparagus, potatoes, and mushrooms were delectable. I am drooling just writing about it. After our main course we were presented with a small grapefruit ice ball to cleanse our palate before eating our sushi tray. I was so proud of myself for trying ALL of the sushi on my dish. My favorites were the tuna and the salmon. It's a good thing I had just been with Mike to the sushi go round to eat sushi for the first time since being in Japan this time. It wasn't as hard this time for me to just be brave and try it. We even got Peter to try a bite of my tuna sushi and he didn't spit it out so that was positive. Andrew wouldn't touch it.


After we finished eating the Master Ninja came to our room to show us some magic tricks. He was really good and being that close I still couldn't figure out how he did some of them. The boys were so enamoured by it all. On the way out we headed to the really nicely decorated bathrooms. I had to take a picture because it was so unique and there was a giant arrangment of fresh flowers including lilies which I love. After leaving the restaurant we were once again greeted by our server Ninja who whipped out a sign that read, "Please come again." After all the money we dropped in one meal I am sure it will be awhile before we come again. The boys asked us at least a couple of times during dinner when we could come back again. The food and entertainment was so ridiculously good that I can't wait to return.


*all photos taken with my handy dandy iPhone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment