March 25, 2010

Swimming Lessons


After spending most of the winter inside just trying to get through each day of rain and homework we decided it was finally time to add something fun after school. Since we will be swimming pretty much most of the summer in Japan just trying to stay cool in the humid weather we thought it might be a good idea to remember how to swim. This was Emma's first time in lessons and she did so much better than I had anticipated. I have such horrible memories of the boys first swimming lessons during our first summer here in Washington. They both cried out of fear and because it was a little cold outside. I didn't really want to relive that again so I have procrastinated putting Emma in swimming lessons until Abby was a little older. They all did such a great job and had so much fun. I would have kept them in longer than one session but the boys really wanted to try baseball this year. I have realized that there is only so much driving around that I can handle.

Andrew was in level 2, Peter in level 1, and Emma was in the preschool class. All of them learned new skills and had fun in the process. The boys got their confidence back and Emma overcame her fear of getting her entire head wet. She did love those pink goggles I got especially for swimming lessons. The most exciting part of the session for the kids was the last day because they got to jump off the diving board. Emma was a little nervous with the first jump but after that she jumped all by herself. Abby so desparately wanted to get in the water but somehow she still enjoyed watching the kids from the side of the pool and looking at the pictures I tried to capture. It was a great session. I am so looking forward to the day when the boys can swim all by themselves for extended periods of time. Hopefully we can reach that level this summer!












No comments:

Post a Comment