January 23, 2010

First Race of the New Year


It feels good to finally have some races to train for this winter. Today was the first of a series of races I will be doing over the next couple of months. To say that I am in the greatest shape would totally be lying. It isn't my endurance that struggles right now but my speed. The last races I did were the Seattle Half Marathon back in June and the Ft. Lewis Triathlon back in July. Since then my runs have been pretty pathetic...only the minimum to stay in decent shape. Now I am finally healthy and more focused than ever. Today I ran a 10K in a little town called Steilacoom just down by the water from where I live. I wasn't quite sure how fast I would be able to run but I picked a pace and tried to stay pretty close to it. There were many men who I tried to keep up with and in the end I kind of surprised myself with a first place overall women's finish. I clocked in at 43:07 for 6.27 miles with an average pace of 6:53. I don't know why my GPS always clocks over. The same thing happened in the Seattle Half Marathon. This wasn't my best 10K but I am satisfied that it is a good starting point. Eventually I would like to break 40 minutes in the 10K but I know it will take me quite a bit of time before I reach that goal. Today's race was one to be proud of and not necessarily because of the first place finish. It was just what I needed to finally get moving in the right direction. Now I know what I need to do to be more prepared for my 15K in February. With all the speed I plan on running I just might be able to finally break 1:30 in the Wenatchee Half Marathon this April. It's just me and the road baby!!

For a more detailed story version of my race, click HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment