November 14, 2009

New Discoveries

Raising an 18 month old is both exhausting and entertaining. My thoughts are usually turned to the question, "What is Abby going to surprise me with today?" She has been discovering new things and getting into more stuff. Some of her latest discoveries include finding my shoes and trying them all on. One morning as I was getting ready Abby brought out a pair of my dress shoes and proceeded to try them on. It was hilarous and so cute. She even tried walking in them to which I immediately busted up laughing. Who wouldn't laugh at a half naked girl, diaper ablaze with black high heels on? Abby really is a breath of fresh air in our home. I love to see what she comes up with next. The very next day she decided to get some of daddy's shoes to try on. All I could think of was a picture I have of me wearing my dad's shoes at the age of 2. It made me smile to see our connection with shoes at such a young age. I love shoes and if given an unlimited budget and a store that had plenty of size 5 1/2 shoes I would own an entire closet full of fun and colorful shoes. When I find a pair of fun shoes in my size I consider it a miracle.


Some more of Abby's little discoveries include being able to stand on the toy box and turn on and off the light in her room. She can even open all of our doors and since we have french handles there is not much I can do to prevent her from going into any room in the house. Abby climbs up to sit on the big chairs in the kitchen and prefers to sit there to eat her snacks instead of her booster seat. I will more often than not find her standing on the chair which makes me completely nervous. She is constantly hearing me tell her to sit down.



With older siblings in the house Abby hears too many no's from them. Let's face it...she can be a little destructive. Lately the boys have been telling her, "bad baby." I am not too thrilled with this because now Abby can say it and will go up to you when she is not happy, wave her hand at you and say, "bad baby." At first it was really funny and Mike and I had a hard time not laughing. Now the teaching begins. There is now a lot of "good girl" and "soft" being said to discourage the bad baby mantra.

When Abby is not getting into everything she can be found in a corner somewhere doing you know what. When I ask her what she is doing she replies, "baproom." She obviously knows that she is going to the bathroom in her diaper so we have now pulled out the little potty and the potty books. It might be a bit early but she is becoming more predictable and the sooner we can get her out of diapers the better! There are rarely any dull moments with Abby. I am glad she keeps me on my toes and gives me plenty of excuses to laugh and smile everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment