July 28, 2009

Ape Caves

On Tuesday we headed down to Mt. St. Helens to hike in the Ape Caves. It was a blastid hot, hot day. We got to the Ape Caves around lunch time and decided to eat lunch and then hike up the 1 1/2 mile trail to the other entrance of the cave so that we wouldn't have that hike on the tail end during the hottest part of the day. We about died from the heat and were literally melting on the hike. It was probably close to 100 degrees and we were wearing pants trying to be prepared for the coldness in the caves. There are two times when I get cranky---when I am hungry and when I am overheated. Oh yes, I was extremely cranky by the time we finally got to the upper entrance to the cave. I guess I should have realized that it was not going to be a good day for me. Most everyone had fun in the caves. Mike and I rotated carrying Abby in the backpack. We thought she would fall asleep but no such luck. She cried most of the way which was really frustrating. By the time we finished going through the caves I was so done with her crying. I was in a bit of a bad mood and as we were headed home I looked at the outside temperature in the car and it read 103 degrees! When I went to take a picture the temp went back down to 102 so that is the picture I got. YIKES! It was just too hot for any sort of hiking. The Ape Caves are really cool but it just didn't turn out to be my day for a great adventure. Suffice it to say I will not be going back to the Ape Caves. I have had my fill of that cave.










This is what happens when you take your camera from 42 degrees to 100 degress. I just didn't think that it would take so long to defog. I should have used my point and shoot but this is it! Foggy but here is the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment