June 29, 2009

Seattle Half Marathon

This year Mike and I both ran the inaugural Rock-n-Roll Seattle Half Marathon. The weather was perfect and the crowd was amazing. Over the last couple of months of training for the distance and the speed with our Wednesday night track workouts we were prepared to do well.


My goal was to break 1:30. I didn't quite get that time but came pretty close. I made it in 1:32. The morning of the race was not as smooth as I would have liked. We slept up in Seattle because we were encouraged to take the shuttle from Seattle down to the start of the race in Tukwila (only 15 mintues away). When we got to the shuttle points the lines were ridicoulsly long and we waited for almost an hour to get on the shuttle. The shuttle got us there 10 minutes after the start and so I missed starting in the first corral and missed running with my pace group. If that wasn't bad enough, my ipod stalled at the starting line. It wasn't my morning, but I ran hard and I am happy with my time. I will just have to do another half marathon until I reach my goal.


Mike did really well! I think this half marathon was a much better experience for him than the last one we ran together a couple of years ago in Pennsylvannia. As a very busy medical resident coupled with a horrible commute for the last six months, I am truly impressed that Mike was able to train so that he could run a great race. There is nothing that he can't do. I am so proud of him.


We finally met up at the end of the race as I was trying to get our gear bags (took 30 minutes...YIKES). We walked a mile and a half back to the car and then headed home for a much needed shower and rest. Mike surprised me with a professional massage later that day. We both got our massages which felt extremely good after a long race. I can't wait for our next race together!

No comments:

Post a Comment