February 27, 2011

Potty Training

Abby is FINALLY potty trained and it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. For the last couple of months I have been wanting to get going on potty training and everytime I tried Abby just wasn't interested in doing it. So, after Christmas I bought two little princess dolls that she did not have and set them up on the shelf in the bathroom for her to see. I told her that when she was ready to get potty trained and go in the potty all day I would let her have the princess dolls. For almost 2 months they sat there. Occasionally she would take one down and look at it but then she would put it back on the shelf. I thought for sure my daughter could be bribed with little princess dolls. Afterall, they are her FAVORITE things to play with and she gets a little sensitive when Emma takes them from her. So Plan A was not working out well until one day I noticed how much Abby was fussing with her diapers. She seemed to be so bothered by them. That seemed like the perfect time to introduce the nice, soft princess underwear that I had been saving for her. I knew I was in for some hard work but it had to be done and she was showing all the signs of being ready. I laid all of the underwear on her bed and let her choose one. It was no surprise that she choose the Snow White ones. She loved wearing underwear all day long. I spent the entire day in paranoia asking her if she needed to go potty and if she was dry. She probably thought I was a little crazy for asking so many times. My saving grace was having the little potty downstairs in the middle of where we were playing. So Day 1 was not that bad with only 3 accidents. Day 2 was a little better with only 2 accidents. I told her that if she could go all day with no accidents she could have both of her princess dolls. By Day 3 we were down to 0 accidents and Abby was finally able to those princess dolls. It was funny watching her play on Day 3 as she sat in her cute little shirt and underwear. At one point during the day I was in the office while she was watching a movie and I glanced through the door to see what she was up to. She was standing there watching Cinderella with Pete's swimming goggles on holding on to her little mice from the Cinderella movie. It was so funny. Since then she has done really well and will even tell me before she has to go so I can help her on the big toilet. We don't even use the little potty anymore...YEAH!! I guess it is true what they say about potty training...WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE READY!

No comments:

Post a Comment