May 25, 2010

What a Day

He Said...

There are days when you get up at 5:00 AM, (having dreamt about the finale of LOST all night), and think, this is gonna be one of those days. The rain was just heavy enough to need a jacket, and the line to get on base was just long enough to confirm the diagnosis of a great day in the making. Fortunately, I knew that we had an appointment at 9:00 AM to get our military passports, that should be nice and easy. Of course, an hour and a half into the ordeal of getting our passports (and by ordeal I mean a rude, unhelpful clerk coupled with kids screaming, crying, and running haywire), I thought that things could only get better from here. As I settled down into the conference room at the hospital, my pager rang. No big deal, right? Sara was bringing Abby into the hospital. I didn't think much of it at first, but when the Orthopedic Surgeon sat us down and gave us the news that Abby would be in a full leg cast for 4-6 weeks, I started to think about it a little more. So off we went with Abby's new pink leg, and it wasn't even noon yet! At least nine more hours to turn this day around into something better. Of course, it's really raining now, Abby got popsicle on her cast, and there's a rumor that one of the toilets is broken. Someone tell me when it's safe to go back to bed.

She Said...

I didn't think that today was going to be that bad. After trying so hard to get Abby to sleep last night after her little injury on the trampoline, I knew that today just had to be better. All the kids woke up on time, got dressed, and ate breakfast in time for our appointment to get our military passports. As soon as I saw Mike rush in 10 minutes late to our appointment I knew by the look on his face that things were going downhill. Apparently our paperwork was not correct AGAIN. After Mike had a nice little chat with the lady at the counter about our frustration in their lack of communication we finally got everything done. An hour and a half later I finally drove the boys to school, stopped at Starbucks to get breakfast, and drove to the hospital to take Abby in to get an x-ray of her leg. I thought it would just be a small sprain but sure enough a fracture showed up on the x-ray. I was surprised at how calm Abby was as they were putting on her pink cast. She fell asleep on the way home and as I laid her down in her bed for a nap all she could say to me was, "Abby sad. Abby cry. Boo Boo Off." I imagine there will be more talk of taking that darn cast off. Hopefully we will be able to manage this next month with the move, trying to attend to Abby's needs, and trying to sell this house. It was just one of those days and I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I have to believe there is always something to be grateful for! Today I am grateful for a husband who takes care of us. We were in and out of the hospital in 35 minutes and he even got to help with the cast. Sometimes it pays to be the big dog on campus!




No comments:

Post a Comment