May 20, 2010

Blurry No More



The question really wasn't about if I would ever get LASIK done but when I would finally be ready to muster up the courage to do it. For the last 25 years of my life I have been plagued with bad vision. I got my first pair of glasses when I was just 7 years old and my first pair of contacts when I was 14 years old. I remember being terrified to put my contacts in by myself so I somehow convinced my mom to do it for me. She willingly did it for a month until one day at school my contact fell out in the bathroom sink at school and I was forced to put it back in by myself. From then on I learned to live with contacts and I managed well for many years. There was always the annoyance of having to take them out before bed, waking up with blurry vision, and the constant effort to keep my eyes moist. Over the years my eyes have adjusted to contact life but I have noticed how dry my eyes have gotten over the years from wearing contacts. After Mike decided to get LASIK done on his eyes about a month ago he has been trying to convince me to do it for myself. I was a little freaked out by the procedure but went in for a consult anyways. I was told that I had some irritation on my cornea caused from my contacts that needed to be cleared up before I would qualify for the LASIK procedure. I was shocked because I take really good care of my eyes and my contacts. After being a little disappointed and frustrated I soon felt blessed that I did go in to get a consult if for nothing else than to clear up whatever was irritating my eyes. After two weeks of drops and four weeks in glasses I finally went in yesterday for my LASIK procedure. It was the freakiest procedure I have encountered but 24 hours later I can actually see. I went to bed last night without having to take out my contacts, I woke up without having to fiddle with finding my glasses, and now I can see without any aid. I feel so blessed. I know this is only the beginning of my new life without contacts and glasses and I am so EXCITED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment