May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day

I have the best mom in the whole world! I feel so lucky to have grown up in a house with a mother who loved me and sacrificed so much for me. She always listened to my problems and seemed to have a way to make me feel better no matter what the situation was. I remember being so nervous before my gymnastic meets, soccer games, and running events. She would always take a walk with me and soothe me with her comforting words. We always had a motto growing up...it was the nike motto "Just Do It." When I was scared or unsure I would remember those words.

My mom got me through some tough times but was also there to share in my happy moments. I remember laughing with my mom and just being silly together. I am silly and hyper by nature. I guess I have calmed down a bit as I have gotten older. I am grateful that she could be silly with me.

My mom was always there to support me in my running. She was there for every cross country and track meet. Both of these events took at least an hour to get to without traffic. She never complained when it was raining or cold. She stood by my side as I paced up and down with anxious nerves before my races and was there to catch me at the end of my race when I could hardly stand. She even attended some of my soccer games which were harder because they were so far away. As an avid runner herself I am thankful for her example of persistence and dedication to something she loves.

My mom was a big supporter of my musical abilities. I took piano lessons since the age of 7 years old and played the flute from fourth through eleventh grade. In my high school years as I got busier with school, sports, and church I begged her to let me quit the piano. She was determined to make me keep playing even though I had little time to practice. I am so glad that she could see the bigger picture. I am grateful for my ability to play the piano well. This is something I know I could not have achieved without her support. I remember playing the piano for extended periods of time while she laid on the couch and just listened. I am starting to realize as Andrew plays the piano how amazing it is to see your child excel at such a skill. I love hearing Andrew play and look forward to many moments of laying on the couch enjoying the music he plays for me.

Over the years I have admired the tremendous amount of patience my mom has. When I ask her how she is so patient she quickly reminds me that she wasn't always that patient. I know she is just being humble because I remember how patient she was growing up. She is still the most patient person I know. I don't know how she does it with everything she faces today. Her testimony of the Savior is so strong and I am so grateful for her example of faith and virtue. She is a woman of courage, strength, love, and devotion. I know no other who is as strong as she. She would stand by me no matter what the odds. I admire everything about her. I am constantly striving to be everything that she is. My mom is my best friend next to my wonderful husband. She is my biggest fan, my greatest example, one of my biggest supporters, my sounding board, my confidant, and my voice of reason and understanding. I love her more than she will ever know.

MOM--thank you for many wonderful years of love, laughter, and tears. I am in awe of everything you stand for. Thank you for setting such a great example for me. I hope I can make you proud as I strive to be the mother you raised me to be. I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment