November 10, 2008

a boys love



Just when I thought that my 7 year old wasn't listening to anything I was telling him, he opened up to his good ole mom and I had the best time just listening to everything he had to say. Andrew came home from church all excited about serving because that is what they were taught that day in class. He was asking left and right what he could do to help me...wow...where did this come from? After I got the girls in bed I went back downstairs to finish cleaning the kitchen. I always have to clean up my kitchen before I go to bed. Andrew was eager to help me out and actually told me, "I really like cleaning...I think I like it more than playing with my toys. It is so cool because you get to use these cool wipes." That's my boy! If there is anything I can teach my boys it will be to be organized and clean! Their wives someday will be so happy. I told him that he could stay up a little longer if he wanted to help me out. He was beyond excited about that. So we went upstairs and said goodnight to Peter and Dad and then ventured back downstairs to finish picking up. We turned on some good Sunday music and then the most amazing thing happened...we both just sat on the floor in front of the couch and started talking about spiritual things and I didn't realize how touched Andrew is by the spirit already. I also didn't know how much he loved me. When you witness one of your children getting emotional about their feelings about you and about the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is just heart warming. We sat and cried tears of joy with each other as we were touched by the spirit. I wish I could have just bottled up that night so I could open it up anytime and relive it. I have the most amazing 7 year old and although I always knew that, last night the spirit confirmed to me how truly special he is and how I have a great responsibility to always be a good example for him. All I did was listen to him and let him know how I truly loved him. Sometimes that is all a child needs...someone to take the time to listen to them and love them!

7 comments:

  1. It would have been so easy to just send him to bed. What a wonderful opportunity you gave yourself by not being selfish. Truly a cherished moment that he will not forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me crying. How sweet! We still need to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely a moment to treasure..thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm going to start crying:) that is so sweet. i'm going to start telling drew he can stay up a little bit later if her helps me clean the kitchen, but i don't think it will work?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara what a treasured moment. Every mothers drean night right. To realize what great potential our children have. That our lifelong work might result in amazing success. That our goal of having the kids become what we know they can is truly achievable. What a rare experience your night was. And may it bolster you in those days in the future when you are feeling like motherhood hasn't been quite the success you were hoping for. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This must be the story you were going to share with me when we got home from our trip. How sweet and how wonderful to experience such a special moment..so glad you wrote it down...

    ReplyDelete
  7. THanks for sharing that.
    I need this experience with my 8 yr old.
    I struggle to see things on her level.
    Thanks for such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete