February 8, 2012

New Zealand Cruise . Days 11-13 . Sounds and Sea



I will never forget the first time I went into Yosemite National Park.  I really think it is one of the awe inspiring places I have been.  Milford Sound is a close second.  There are places on earth where I would love to spend a month just hiking around and enjoying the fresh air.  Fjordland National Park is one of them.  Hopefully, one day, we'll get to come back and go hiking.  But honestly, seeing it from a cruise ship is a good way to do it too.  I am surprised that they don't call it waterfall national park since every five feet there's another majestic waterfall spraying off some peak.


The coups of the day was the navigating by the captain by one of the waterfalls.  As the sound is remarkably deep and the banks very sheer, the captain was able to move the boat to within five feet of the waterfall.  The back of the ship was almost touching the other side of the sound.  It was crazy.  People started getting really nervous and finally the captain came on over the loudspeaker and said, "I'm not Italian, so we'll be safe".  I kept on thinking he wouldn't get any closer, but he did.  I wish someone had been able to get a picture of the ship from a distance sitting there in the sound.  I'm sure it was quite a site to behold.


After leaving the sounds, we headed back out to the ocean.  It was a little choppy, which made it fun to hang out in the pool on the ship.  As we motored toward Sydney, the weather got very nice and we spent the days eating BBQ, going on the waterslide with the kids, and just enjoying the weather. Someone needs to remind me to live in New Zealand in the winter and Seattle in the summer.

w r i t t e n   b y   m i k e


No comments:

Post a Comment