August 21, 2007

Why I Keep Running



I sure love running!! As I was running today, I was reminded of why I keep running. It was 7:15 am and I put on my running clothes. I looked out the window only to be reminded that I live in Washinton State...rainy and cloudy. To some, this weather would pose a serious threat to any outdoor exercise. I don't know if it is because I have run all my best races in the rain, but I absolutely love running in the rain (of course the occasional down pour and hail can sometimes be challenging). Today's run was intended to be an easy 5 mile run to loosen my legs after the triathlon. With my music on, I ran out the door with no kids to push in the jogger. Although I love running with my kids, I cherish the few times I am able to run all by myself. Running alone is one of the times when I can reflect about life. In those moments, time seems to stop. I am not worried about what I am wearing or where I need to be going. I am my own competitor--it's just me, the road, and my thoughts. This was today's run to a T! Everything seemed to click and I felt grateful for a strong pair of legs. That's not to say that it always comes easy for me. On occasion, I have those days where running is just hard for whatever reason. It is in those times I try to remember something my high school cross country coach told me. He said that to be a great runner, I needed to develop the 3 D's: Dedication, Determination, and Discipline. Over the course of many years of running, I have come to realize that these three things that help me to be a great runner, also help me to become a better mother, wife, daughter, and friend. Some people tell me that I am just plain crazy to be running so much. Well, maybe I am crazy, but running is part of who I am. I wouldn't have it any other way!

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your thoughts a great deal. You have captured and learned the essence of why Douglas MacArthur required all USMA cadets to make sports a part of their daily lives at the academy -- that they might learn through competition with themselves and with others to overcome the challenges of life - to be victorious. Keep running - you are doing great. Love, Grandpa AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article. Running seems to "run" in the family. It has been a such an important part of our lives. I still cherish the times when we went out to watch your cross country races and the track and field events. So how about running Boston Marathon again with me next year? I think we are both already qualified, right?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you know that the pictures bring back some wonderful memories for me. I actually remember that day when you first ran... Some of my best thinking and problem solving is done when I run... Glad to see that it also helps you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think too when I am running. It goes like this "Keep going, keep going...don't stop!" You are crazy, but I love that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your running impresses me so much! I love the pics of you in your races.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those 3 D's are very true...I just try to develop those aspects into my life doing something far less physically active, like eating, or in front of the TV. But hey, if running works for you, go with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to Go Sara!!!! Not only are you a super tough runner, you are also a wondrful writer. Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara,
    It is good to see that you are still running. How may marithons have you done now? I am so jealous. Your family is so adorable. I am glad you are doing well.
    Love
    Cheryl Wellman

    ReplyDelete