August 18, 2007

Triathlon...a duel between spouses


Ok, so this was our first triathlon ever. We made bets with each other on who we thought would cross the finish line first. With both of us equal in the swim, Mike as a stronger biker and Sara as a stronger runner, it's really anyone's game. This was a sprint triathlon which means you do a 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. We both started in the first heat for the swim and our nerves were running wild. On your mark, get set, ---AND THEY ARE OFF! I think I speak for both of us when I say that the swim was by far the hardest of the three events. The distance wasn't really a problem. We just like swimming in a pool better. The lake is spooky and it just takes longer to get into a rhythm. I started to panick in the water because I couldn't get my breathing down. Mike's wet suit became a problem for him. On the positive side, we learned a lot of good things about the swim for our next triathlon (it might be a year or two before I have the courage to do that swim again). I was first on the bike and was sure Mike would catch up. The biking leg was probably the funnest of the three events. I have a little glimpse now as to why people like biking so much. It was obvious Mike wasn't going all out on the bike, because I came in before him. He really is a much stronger biker than me. I started the run and my legs felt like jelly. I probably went out on the bike a little too hard, but I just couldn't let Mike beat me...yes, I am really competitive. I saw Mike on the run shortly after I made the half way mark so I knew he wasn't too far behind. I crossed the finish line in around 1:29:00 and was so happy to have just finished. Mike came in a few minutes later. All in all, it was a good experience to be able to do this together. We were able to motivate each other and push each other to do better. I also wouldn't have been able to do this without the help of a sweet friend, Esther, who let me borrow her road bike and biking shorts to train in. There is nothing better than truly good friends who support us in things we enjoy to do. Thank you Esther for coming out and supporting us--it was nice to have a fan out there! Check back in a few weeks for the results of our upcoming Half Marathon.

Sara

http://

8 comments:

  1. Love the music you added to your blog! I know how you feel about swimming in lakes. Freaks me out too. I have no idea why the ocean doesn't bug me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic time for your first triathlon. I understand the feelings about the swim because I don't like it either. Maybe now you know why I like biking so much.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are so awesome! What a great experience. Sara-- you are an ELITE athlete! Mike--good luck keeping up with her!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so awesome. How great that you got to do that together. I love that you beat Mike. How great to be in such great shape to be able to do competitive things like that together. I need to be better to even keep up with Tyler's dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are crazy, but I love you any way. I still can't believe you got in the lake - no way for me. It has to be the pool or the ocean (although I know that doesn't make sense). Congrats...and of course love it that you finished first...even if he wasn't going all out (would Mike have been going all out if he had beat you? :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy, crazy Wilhelms! Congrats on completing your first triathlon...tell me later what it is you drink for all that energy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great! I love reading about your adventures. We are heading down to Park City this weekend where Jason's brother and sister are doing a triathalon there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are animals! That is so awesome the two of you decided to do a tri. I actually just finished my first tri in July, and now I am hooked! We should plan a tri together, so we can meet up. However, I did notice Mike still has those huge Calves-very intimidating!

    ReplyDelete