October 15, 2010

American School In Japan


I have such fond memories of going to school at ASIJ. I started there when I was in 4th grade and graduated from high school in 1996. I have great memories of many excellent teachers and wonderful friends. Even though it has been 14 years since I graduated high school I still feel such a connection to my school. My greatest triumphs took place there. I became the person I am today because of the things I experienced there. Aside from meeting my best friend my freshman year, my fondest memories lie in my running experience at ASIJ. I started running in 6th grade after my oldest brother, John, convinced me that I would love it. He was and still is a great runner and I always wanted to be like him when I was younger so I went out for the team. Little did we realize that after only 1 season I was a lot faster than we had all anticipated. From there I went on to finish up my middle school years running cross country and track. Once I entered high school I continued to train hard and broke the high school cross country league record and school record as a Freshman. I went on to capture two more school records in the 1600m and 3200m in Track and Field

First Trip to ASIJ
One of the things I looked forward to while living in Japan was the opportunity to visit ASIJ and possibly run with the cross country girls team. Although most everyone I used to know is no longer at ASIJ there are still a few teachers I know. My friend and running mentor still lives in Japan and runs with the cross country team. After all these years it was nice to finally meet up one afternoon and run with him and the ASIJ cross country team. After finding a day when Mike had an afternoon free I hopped on the train for my 2 hour train ride to Higashi Koganei. Thankfully my friend Bob picked me up at the station and drove me to the school. It was so fun to be able to see all the cool changes the school had undertaken since I left. The locker area was completely different with cool skylights and the cafeteria was 2 stories. The football field had been completely redone and the elementary school playground was so different. I ran into my 4th grade teacher who has been retired for 10 years but just happened to be there that day. I also was able to talk with my photography teacher. He expressed interest in having me come back and talk to his class about my photography. That sounded really fun. I was the most excited, however, to see the Cross Country and Track Record boards. Bob introduced me to some of the girls from the team and they were so excited that I was there. It felt amazing to be admired by these high school kids. Before the run the coach introduced me to the team and they all clapped for me and the record I had held for so long. I have to admit I was a little nervous about being able to keep up with those young girls. I ended up surprising myself and was able to run and complete the 8X800m and keep up with the top girls. I am definitely a stronger runner than I was in high school but I am not in the best shape just yet. I am hoping to be able to run with them more next season. To say that I was exhausted by the time I got home is a COMPLETE UNDERSTATEMENT. I ended up having to stand for most of the train ride as it was rush hour and I had to take three different trains to get home. It was a really LONG ride but it was so worth it. When I got home Mike had dinner waiting for me. He had made his wonderful chicago pizza and next to that was a big plate of Chips Ahoy cookies for me because that is what Beth and I used to eat after getting home from track practice. I can't believe that Mike had remembered that. I don't know what I did to deserve such a great man. The kids even made pictures for me. I felt so loved today.


Cross Country Finals and Alumni Reception

I decided to go to the cross country finals this year. Mike had all the kids because the boys were having their last soccer games. I was grateful that they were able to support me in going away for most of the day. Tama Hills was just as I had remembered it. It was nice to walk up to the starting line knowing that I didn't have to run. I still got butterflies in my stomach though, especially after seeing gut hill. The girls ran strong but weren't able to come out with a #1 team finish this year---the first in a really long time. I loved being able to run along the course cheering them all on.

After the cross country meet Bob and I went back to the school for the alumni reception. I was able to chat with an old high school friend who just happens to also be living in Japan. I watched the homecoming football game from the top of the cafeteria building. We definitely had the best view. I took some time to walk through the elementary, middle, and high school. I can't wait to show Mike and the kids my old school. We will be back here the beginning of December for ASIJ's Holiday Happenings Festival. It is probably the best Holiday Festival I have ever been to.



No comments:

Post a Comment