September 27, 2010

Early Morning Running

For years I did what I had to do to get in a run--push a single jogger, push a double jogger, run in the evening, swap with friends, or hire a babysitter. It wasn't always the most ideal situation but I always made it work somehow. There was always this hope in the back of my mind that someday I would be able to run without swapping and without pushing a jogger even before all of my kids were in school full time. Before we moved I sold the double jogger which I used faithfully for 7 years. I have to admit I was a little sad to see it go but I knew that I would have little use for it anymore. Life after residency has brought about so many wonderful changes. My favorite change and probably the biggest change has been Mike's work schedule. For the first time in my life I have been able to wake up early to go running...no kids and no jogger to push. I am not sure there was much faith that I would actually get up early to run because I am NOT a morning person. However, I knew that this would be the only time that I could run kid free and free from after school schedules and dinner time. So, every morning between 5:15-5:30am I wake up to my iPhone playing the coolest little guitar diddy, roll out of bed, and put on my running clothes that I have laid out the night before. I grab my tunes and my fuel belt and head out the door quietly so I don't wake up anyone. I never thought I would be able to hold such a schedule but for the last 2 months I have faithfully gotten up early every week to run. Some weeks I have only run a couple of days and others the entire week. Running in the mornings has been such a blessing for me. Mike has been super supportive and has gotten the boys out of bed and ready for school on those days where I am not back until right before we head to the bus stop. There is no way I would be able to do all of this without such great support from him. Lately on my runs I have enjoyed watching the sun rise. On one particularly BEAUTIFUL morning I just happened to have my iPhone with me so I dedicated my long run to taking lots of fun pictures of where I was running. The funny thing about where we live is the only way to go is up or down. Our little town is located up on a big hillside. When I leave on my runs I am usually heading downhill which makes for an interesting end to my run as I huff and puff back uphill towards my house. One thing is for sure, my backside is definitely getting the workout its needed all these years.

I am always amazed at how many people are up and going when I am running that early in the morning. I typically greet those I pass with an "Ohaiyogozaimasu" and they politely respond with the same. The people I see out and about are usually doing one of three things--walking their dogs, sweeping up the leaves in front of their house, or hurrying to the train station. No matter where I go, though, I always feel like I am on some adventure. That is just how it is here. There are new sights, sounds, and smells everywhere!!!

For those interested in some running ideas or something to add to your running routine, visit my RUNNING BLOG. I will be updating weekly with my running and other exercise routines.










No comments:

Post a Comment