September 3, 2010

District Conference

This weekend was District Conference (Stake Conference) for our church up near Yokota Air Force Base. Since Yokota is at least 2 hours away we booked a room at the temporary lodging facility at the Air Force Base so our commute on Sunday morning would be only 10 minutes instead of 2 hours. The room was spacious with a full kitchen, washer and dryer, dining table, living room and 3 bedrooms. It was perfect and super cheap ($60). We left Saturday evening after dinner and made the long drive up to Yokota. It took us over 2 hours because we ran into some heavy traffic along the way. Luckily the kids fell asleep after watching a movie.

It was nice to be in a more Americanized place for a night. I looked at the American sized oven and thought it looked absolutely enormous. I think I even commented to Mike that it looked bigger than I remembered. I don't know what I would do with myself with a normal sized oven. Oh how great it will be when we have normal appliances in a couple of years.

The morning was calm and we even made it to the church building with 5 minutes to spare. We had to split up so that we could sit in the main area but we were only an aisle away. I took the girls and Mike took the boys. The kids were amazingly reverent and I was able to concentrate on all of the talks. Today I was called to be the District Primary Secretary. The new Primary President is one of my friends and I am so happy to be working with her. Our District Primary covers all of the Military Branches on mainland Japan (Iwakuni, Yokosuka, Zama, Yokota, and Misawa). I hope that we will be able to travel some to get to know the other members of our District. A new District Presidency was called today and with that we were able to hear from Elder Stephenson from the Seventy as well as the Mission President and all of the new Presidency. The talks were so amazing and so spiritual. I was so glad that we made the extra effort to be at this District Conference. We were amazed and a little jealous of the huge church building. I wish I could have captured the entire building in one picture but it was so big and my lens was not wide enough and the building was right off the main road. We can't wait to come back for the next District Conference.





No comments:

Post a Comment