August 29, 2010

First Day of School



I think we were all excited for today. It was an extremely long summer together in small quarters for most of the summer. The boys were finally ready to get started with school and see some of the friends they made through their summer camps. I was ready to only have to take 2 children on errands with me. Although I will miss having the boys here during the day I am anxious for them to get back to their studies. One of the biggest differences this year is the early start. School starts at 7:45am and the bus picks them up at their bus stop by our house at 6:39am. Our mornings starts out early with me getting up at 5:30am to run and then either me or Mike gets the boys up at 6:00am to get ready. By 6:30am the boys are dressed, fed, teeth and hair brushed, and family prayer has been said. Our morning family prayer has been the most rewarding change this year. It has been nice for all of us to be together for family prayer. It makes a difference to have Mike with us for our morning prayers. Today was the first day of our early start and the boys did really well. Backpacks and lunches were all packed the night before so that made it easier to grab and go in the morning. Because there is not much time to do anything but get dressed and eat I literally had less than 2 minutes for pictures this morning. The boys were agreeable which was nice. We headed to the bus stop with a couple of minutes to spare. After seeing the bus pull up the boys got out their bus passes. A couple of quick hugs later they were on the bus and I was waving goodbye. I was a little sad but more relieved that we made it so early on our first day.


I picked up the boys at 3:00pm today and they were all smiles. They both had GREAT days. I was happy to hear all about their teachers, new friends, and what their classes were like. Here is what they each said about their first day of school this year:


"I had a good day at school today. I did a word search with my table. My teacher's name is Mr. Brown. I made new friends today and I played with my friend Dennis. We played dinosaurs at recess. It was really hot at recess. The day seemed so short. I did a graph in class and before the end of the day we talked about how we are going to make a book tomorrow or next week. My first day of second grade was GOOD."






























"My first day of fourth grade was really AWESOME. I got on the bus and the seats were soft and cushiony. The ride was relaxing. When I got off the bus I had trouble finding my teacher but then I asked someone who worked there and found him. I stood in line with my class and then we went into our classroom. First thing I did in class was choose my own cubby. I got my own cubby and didn't have to share it with anyone. Then after that Mr. G explained the rules. We talked about the schedule of the day. After that we went to music and then recess. I saw some of my friends from camp and made some new friends too. They had 3 big toys in the playground. After recess we got to go to lunch in the cafeteria. If you buy hot lunch you can get fries and corndogs and whatever you want that is available. The big thing that happened today was a test we took after lunch. It was a big math test. I was one of the last ones to finish it. It was pretty hard. After the test Mr. G told us stories about some of his old students and things to not do. Mr. G was really funny. This was my best first day of school ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment