November 30, 2012

Run for the Cure 5K/10K

Through the heat of the summer the one thing that kept me going was knowing that if I trained hard enough that I just might be able to PR in the Run for the Cure 10K in December.  So, with the crazy humidity through the summer and into the fall I trained as hard and as smart as I could.  I shifted my training to 4 hard days a week (tempo, track, hills, long run) plus a day of tennis and 2 days of core work/yoga.  I ate healthy and I started to notice that not only was I able to run at a faster pace with less effort but I was starting to hit a more ideal running weight.  I know that my preparation is what led to my success in this year's Run for the Cure 10K.  I was very fortunate to have such a great fan club this year.  Not only was my whole family there but our good friends, the Holleys, came with their kids to cheer me on.  With my music all geared up I shot out of the front line and from the very beginning I was able to stay in the top 5.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that my splits were right on for breaking 40 minutes.  When I passed the first 5K my time was under 20 minutes at 19:46 and I thought for sure I could break 40 minutes.  I knew I would have to push hard as I still had a crazy long uphill to climb but I gave it my all.  At mile 4 I could tell that I was running out of steam going up the hill but I just kept thinking of the finish line and I pushed it as hard as I could.  By mile 5 I let it all go on the straight and the downhill to make up for lost time on the uphill.  I was SO CLOSE but barely missed breaking 40 minutes.  I ended up finishing the 10K in 40:49 which was my personal best.  With more training and a slightly less hilly 10K course I know that I can break 40 minutes.  Still, I was extremely proud of my time and my first place finish for women and 5th place finish overall.  I got some great prizes including some new shoes, Adidas clothing, and some clothes from Roxy.



My finish wasn't the only excitement of the day.  Both Andrew and Peter decided to run in the 5K which was both of their first 5K run.  I encouraged them to stay together but about half way into the race Andrew picked up the pace.  He came in ahead of Peter by only one minute.  Andrew ran it around 25 min and Peter in around 26 min.  I am so proud of them for completing their very first hilly 5K.   

No comments:

Post a Comment