December 25, 2011

Christmas Morning

Christmas morning is always full of so much anticipation and excitement. I was relieved that no one got up before 6:30am and that the boys did not peak down below to the first floor to see what Santa brought. Andrew told me that he thought about it and decided that he would rather be surprised. I was so grateful because it is the excitment of the kids running down the stairs to see what they got that is so priceless. I didn't want to miss that moment...not with any one of them. So patiently the big kids waited in the boys room until I got Abby all ready. We had a little visitor named Abby visit us in the middle of the night saying that she was all wet. Apparently when I had asked her to get her pull up on the night before she quickly ran to the bathroom first but them promptly forgot to put it on and put her underwear back on instead. I had no idea until I got woken up at 3:30am because she had an accident in her bed. I stripped the bed and took her new Christmas pajamas off and wiped her down. After putting her back to sleep on my floor I headed downstairs to put the bedding in the wash and to wash the Christmas pajamas in the sink by hand so that I could stick them in the dryer to be ready to wear a few hours later. Let's just say I was half asleep when I was doing all of this. All is well that ends well I guess because we both went back to sleep without any problems and woke up happy in the morning with a pair of clean and dried Christmas pajamas. YEAH for smart thinking in the middle of the night! The kids have learned to be patient with me as I try and get just one picture of all of them looking at me while sitting at the top of the stairs waiting to run down and see what Santa brought them. I think this year was even more fun than last year. The kids were all so happy with their presents. Andrew got a tennis racket and a remote controlled airplane with a video camera in it from Santa. Peter got his treasured Dinosaur Lego set. Emma got her very own American girl doll with blond hair, blue eyes and ears pierced sporting new Christmas pajamas herself. She was completely overjoyed. Abby got the Slyvanian Family Townhouse with the cat family and the bunny family and some new furniture. She was in Sylvanian Family heaven. It hadn't been more than 15 minutes of playing with the Santa gifts when they wanted to open the rest of the presents. So, we hauled everything into the living room because it was so much warmer in there to finish unwrapping all the gifts. We enjoyed giving each other presents to open and seeing what everyone got. Opening presents never loses its excitement even as you get older.  Mike's theme for me this year was all about comfort.  He gave me a great pair of UGG slippers, a luxurious bathrobe, a bathroom scale to keep me humble, a bunch of boxes of Junior mints, and the most hilarious of them all came a couple of days after Christmas...a massage table with the disclosure that I would be getting a massage twice a week as part of my gift.  What could seriously be better??  I thought I had outdone Mike this year by coming up with a few good ideas but he never ceases to amaze me with his thoughtfulness and cleverness.  This year the two gifts that he was the most suprised by were the mounted ninja swords and the big lego set.  It is tradition to get legos for Mike--a tradition started by his mother.  I hate to admit it but in the past I have been pretty lousy about getting anything cool.  It all changed this year--this year I gave him the Pirates of the Caribbean Queens Anne Revenge ship and he was so surprised.  Overall it was a really fun Christmas morning!


(not really sure what this long box is...can't believe I stumped him)