September 29, 2007

Making Jam Together



Our tradition of making homemade raspberry jam started with great grandpa Papa Miller. Papa grew so many things in his garden in Spokane, WA. Ever since the boys were little, Papa made special trips all the way to Maryland and Virginia to bring us many gallons of his famous raspberries. Since living in Washington, we have been able to make a couple of trips to Spokane and eventually got an extra freezer to store all of those delicious raspberries. We sure do miss Papa Miller, not only for his raspberries, but for his sweat nature and generosity. One of the ways we keep the memories of Papa alive is to keep on making our favorite raspberry jam. And when we finally run out of his wonderful raspberries, we will just have to start growing our own. We love you Papa!


6 comments:

  1. What a fun family tradition...and you are so good to let the kids help..hence the family part. I need to be better and let Cora help me more. The jam sounds yummy...suddenly craving raspberries my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry you won't have to grow your own raspberries, I know a raspberry guy who has the absolute biggest and yummiest berries for cheap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can hardly wait to try some of Peter's and Mom's Jam. It looks "Berry" delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. I hope there is some of that raspberry jam left when I arrive next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, your post made me cry. My Grandma used to put up homemade fruit cocktail every year. She died two years ago and finally this year I started the tradition on my own. It made me think about her all day as I peeled fruit. Anyway...well written. On another note I'll trade you a jar of blackberry or strawberry jam Wilcox style for a Wilhelm jar of Raspberry:-)

    ReplyDelete