January 1, 2014

Word of the Year . O P T I M I S T I C


I do love the start of a New Year. It is a great time to set new goals and work even harder to be a better person than the previous year. As I was journaling this afternoon I looked out the window at just the right moment. What I beheld was incredible. The sun set right behind the summit of Pike's Peak and the light was radiating in all directions. It was absolutely marvelous. I would even venture to say it was one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. Now I have seen plenty of great sunsets over Pike's Peak in the last 6 months but today's sunset blew me away. 

Sometimes we are blown away by things that happen in our life. 2013 completely took me by surprise. I didn't anticipate all the changes and challenges that my family would face.  Looking back I can see how brilliant my life is even with all the hurdles we had to overcome. This year will hold different challenges and I only hope I am strong enough to become a better person because of them. There are lots of things I want to do better this year like reading my scriptures everyday, saying individual prayers with my kids, reading more to each of my children before bed, being more patient with my family members, eating better, exercising more regularly, doing a small act of kindness for someone each day, being a better wife...etc. Those are all great and fine goals but there is one specific thing I would like to work on this year that will help me become a better person. My word for the year is OPTIMISTIC.  This year I want to be optimistic at all times, in all things, and in all places. I admit that I am sometimes quick to  get discouraged when things are not going well.  It's easy to get that way when you feel like you are being challenged beyond your limits. Seeing the sunset today reminded me of something President Uchtdorf said in his April General Conference talk titled, "The Hope of God's Light." He said, "It is part of our condition as mortal beings to sometimes feel as though we are surrounded by darkness...But even though we may feel lost in the midst of our current circumstances, God promises the hope of His light—He promises to illuminate the way before us and show us the way out of darkness." In order to see His light we have to be looking for it. Being happy and optimistic in our circumstances is one sure way to find the light we are seeking. I know this is what I need to do this year. Wish me luck!

Blog Book Spread for this Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment