September 3, 2011

Parenting 505...and sometimes 805

I am not at all surprised by how much I love being a mother. It definitely helps that I was raised by a wonderful woman who has served as the best example of what it takes to be a truly great mother. Still, there are times when I think to myself, "I don't know what the heck I am doing." After 10 years of motherhood I have learned so much but the number one most important thing I have learned so far is how DIVINE motherhood is and how devoted I need to be in order to be the kind of mother I want to be. During our church's last General Conference back in April 2011, I was blown away by one talk in particular. It was a talk given by Lynn G. Robbins of the Quorom of the Seventy. Of all the things he said, this one quote has meant so much to me already.
     
"A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?"

Motherhood for me has really been such a joy. It has definitely had its ups and downs but with all of the learning I can't imagine my life without my four kids and my wonderful husband. Sometimes I think that things just couldn't get any better and then I am humbled by a challenge that one of them is going through. I have learned more about myself and what it means to give of myself and to truly be patient and loving. They teach me more than I could ever learn in any book. The kids have just started school I am excited for them, a little anxious for some more quiet time, but really I am sad to be losing my kiddos for so long during the day. I am pretty sure it won't take long to adjust. No, I'm sure I will sigh a breath of relief pretty soon. I am excited for them to be learning again and to make new friends this year. This last year one of my biggest goals as a mother has been to spend more quality time with each one individually so that I could really get to know them even better than I think I already know them. I think I have done a pretty good job at it and I have learned more about each of my kids through doing it. I can tell that they love the special time that I give them. We call it "mom time." They beg to have mom time with me and that is really flattering to me. I know that they all feel loved and in turn they are pretty good about showing love to each other. Most days being a mother is fantastic. However, during those times when I feel enrolled in Parenting 505 or maybe even Parenting 805 I just have to stop and think about how much growth I will have during those times. For me it's all about keeping things in perspective because sometimes with all the chaos that goes on all around and the same challenges that always seem to creap up on me I find myself burdened and overwhelmed. Life is as good as you make it and attitude is a big part of that. I truly believe that because I love being a mother I will do whatever it takes to be a great mother.